Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spangdahlem Million Dollars

By now you all have heard of the Million Dollars that Spangdahlem AB could get for the best Air Force base. It's between us and Travis AFB. I've seen some of the ideas and some of them are pretty good, but I have some of my own that I'd like to share with you in a moment. Here's just a small portion of the list:

A kid's zone type play place or area - This should be the # one idea, because it would affect so many,

A lap pool - I would love it here, but it would just cost to much.

A portable enclosure for the track - How feasible is this? And how portable would that be? It'd be huge!

A base newspaper - What about the electronic one that's going around? The paper one would be a waste.

Remember, that's just a portion. Someone feel free to post or send the whole list.

Here is one of my ideas: How about a damn car wash that's from this century? Have you tried this one on base? It's horrendous! So you purchase your car wash inside, no biggie. Then you drive up to the car wash door, get out and insert you card, wait for the doors to open, drive in and then......wait for it........get out of the car, go back outside and press start on the fucking panel! Now you're standing OUTSIDE while your car is getting washed. Now please tell me if I'm an idiot and I did it completely wrong. I think I would be OK with that just so I can wash my car the correct way. But if I did it right then this is the stupidest car wash in the history of car washes! At least a do it yourself one would be nice.

This one is kind of an add on to an existing idea. The original is "More running/jogging paths". Great idea, but let's add something. How about "Lights"? I know that seems like a small thing, but this story might put things into perspective: ------One early morning when all the snow on the ground had pretty much up and disappeared, I decided to go for a little run. A 5K to be exact. Now if some of you haven't ran the 5K route on base it takes you from the front of the gym, down to the main circle, back past the CDC and around the end of the flight line then back with sidewalks all the way. Once you get past the CDC and round one more corner and building, things start to get a little eerie. If the moon is out or the sky is just starting to brighten with a small glint of light, then it's not bad, but if there is no moon or there are clouds in the sky and it's way early, then it's like running down a hallway with the lights turned off. Now this sidewalk back there isn't a sidewalk to brag about either, but that might not be bad if you're soon to take a trip to the lovely terrain of Afghanistan. You hit a upturned piece of concrete or small rut and there goes your ankle. You'd think that with all of these imperfections in the sidewalk that there'd be more puddles, but I think I found the sole puddle that drenched my right foot only. How the hell was it just one foot? So I was running, at a snails pace mind you, because you can't see shit! I almost ran into three other runners because none of us saw one another until the last 10 feet, then had to make evasive maneuvers to avoid smashing faces, or whatever. Also, do you realize how many frogs come out in the damp darkness? Well, there's three less now. And do you know what sounds an unsuspecting frog makes when it's getting smashed by a wayward shoe? It's so bone chilling that I'm trying to forget. Luckily, this story only encompasses three nearly fatal crashes, one oddly soaked foot, three innocent lives and some of my sanity. A lighted path could have prevented this entire escapade. This story is absolutely true and I am not making this up......except for the frogs, but I really needed it for more emphasis. It shows you what could happen! We can fix this if we want it bad enough. Let's band together and get this done!

Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. You pretty much think about yourself.. You sound like a whiny baby. Get over it. The world does not revolve around you. Sounds like you need a life.. good luck finding one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a do it your self car wash on Bitburg base, by the gas station... Just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a real dog park? Many people on base have dogs, and the blank big grassy area in front of the first few building on the right in housing is HUGE. That think by the vet is just NOT a dog park in case someone wanted to mention it.

    AR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, I like your suggestions. The car wash does suck... obviously, we pay for the convenience of a machine to do it for us - but the one on base is seriously like... WTF! Not to mention, it doesn't really do all that great of a job at getting your vehicle clean! I know I pay for the works, and when I leave - I have little white spots all over the top, and still a streak of dirt/salt etc all over the bottom of the vehicle.

    The lights on the running trail is also a great idea. I know that I live on Bitburg, and I've often wanted to run at night - but I'm actually quite afraid of running alone through the unpopulated houses because it's just not well lit. And down at the French Casserne, it's not lit at all... scary place to be all alone after dark! There are all types in the air force - so no - I don't feel safe!

    I'd love to see a running park like they have at Nellis.

    I think the covered track is awesome... Would be nice to be PT tested OUT of the wind - because it can be treacherous, given the track is on a hill that isn't protected by ANYTHING when the wind blows.

    WTF suggestions - indoor pool... bleh, they have 'em downtown. Indoor track - not necessary if they just cover the one we have. Rock climbing wall - seriously? There's plenty of big rocks to climb on in the real world - get out of your shell...

    MY suggestion? hmmmm... Spend a LITTLE bit on newer gym equipment. We don't necessarily need an all new bldg, just an upgrade to the stuff inside it. Spend a little for fence and stuff to make a better dog park for the people with dogs. Upgrade the frickin' food court - maybe bring in something a bit healthier? OR... make SUBWAY the drive-thru! YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't run at night. Bring a flash light. Go to the gym. Run on the track. Make a graph and chart explaining how illumination of the 5K trail will improve mission readiness and also include how cost effective this plan will be in relation to how much it will cost to install lighting versus how many people actually run in the hours of darkness. I don't think they will light the area out by the flight line. The lighting would affect aircraft landing. Once they expand the base, I am sure they will make a nice, lighted trail through the woods and what not. This stuff takes time, a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to be careful about the information you are posting on this blog as it pertains to Spangdahlem AB, too much informtaion about specific on-base details can be dangerous when pieced together.

    Oh and on a side note, the car wash is operated by AAFES

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are plans for a new car wash that will be managed by FSS. We won't see it during our time.

    ReplyDelete