Friday, December 31, 2010

First post

Hello all!

If you couldn't tell by the title, this is my first post. Now's the hard part....what do I make my first post? I have so many things that don't know where to start. So I guess it's just fitting to start with something that happened today. As you all are aware, today is a day off (for most). Don't bitch at me if you're one of the unlucky ones that have to work today, believe me, I've been there and I WILL be addressing this issue at a later time.

Anyway, day off today. What happens in most other places, the States most likely, when the base gets a down day? Families are together, friends are hanging out, people just want to go and do something. Be it going to the mall (here?) or going out to eat or whatever. You never have a problem doing anything.....except for here.

We went to get something to eat which is simple enough, right? Went to Speicher, most eateries closed. Went to Binsfeld, closed. Spangdahlem (Spang town), closed. So at this point we're hungry as all get out (not sure exactly what that means, but just go with it), so we decide to get some Pizza Hut when low and behold! THE DAMN PLACE IS CLOSED!! WTF!! Why in the hell would that place be closed? Are we not supposed to be on American soil? That is what a US base in an Overseas location is, but for some reason we don't go by the standard American ways.

I know some of you might be thinking, "what the hell's wrong with this person?" But I damn sure know a bunch of you are saying, "bout damn time someone said that, I'm thinking the same thing!" Time off means being able to go out and do something......whenever we feel like it. Not wondering if the stores or restaurants will be open because it's some down day (on AND off base). Now another thing you might be thinking "this person is an idiot and just hates being overseas and being in Germany". That is not true, at least about the hating it part. We love it here and love it more and more every day! But come on! How are we supposed to go out and do stuff if.........damnit, never mind, if you don't get it by now then I sure as hell can't explain it any more. Anybody have an opinion on this?

14 comments:

  1. I think there are a lot of things wrong with spangdahlem i.e.; our wing leadership, aafes prices, long hours at work, but to complain about pizza hut being closed on new years eve seems petty. I agree with you about spang having a lot of problems but I wouldn't have started a blog on this specific situation, but just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the fact that he wanted to go out and get something to eat on his down day and everything is closed even on base. I would've thought that pizza hut might have their busiest nights tonight if they stayed open being new years eve. It is petty but it's his blog and if you don't like it, don't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The staff at Pizza Hut are given the time off to enjoy the New Years celebration. Calm down. You could have gone to the Commissary and bought a Digorno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What exactly is enjoying a New Years celebration? Getting drunk with friends and having a hangover the next morning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know we are very short staft working at the pizza hut or bowling cener etc and dont get alot of down time so when we do get a day off we love it!!! And we stay home make a nice meal and enjoy or family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I wanted Pizza Hut pizza.... Besides, I thought all of the people that worked at the chow hall started working there when it closed. I've seen military working at J.R. Rockers with my own eyes. Tasted better that day too....just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why dont they deserve the day off that sounds like alot of BS to me if its declared as a holiday stay home and enjoy your family!!!!! Not sit around and complain about what you dont have and enjoy what you do have. If you want to live like you are in america then move back!Military or not they should be able to have the same holidays. There is military at small GSU bases that dont have a pizza hut or Jr Rockers. The base we came from Subway & Anthonys closed at 6 and that was all we had so STOP COMPLAINING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thinks its funny you all think that people dont deserve the day off but if it were your husband or wife you would be complaining. What makes you think they should be open on a holiday.Stay home and enjoy your family!!! Cook dinner instead of eating out. There are alot of GSU bases that dont have Pizza hut and Rockers so instead of complaining all the time stay home, enjoy your family and COOK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...I wanted to celebrate New Years Eve with my family by eating at a nice restaurant...but like you found everything closed. I was disappointed too!! Germany may be a great time in our live, but boy do I miss the states and I totally undersand how you feel. Thanks for being the one to say it here on your blog!! Can't wait to see the next installment...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weird, because lots of restaurants in Bitburg were open; some even offered a special New Year's Eve menu. A little planning helps and saves a lot of headaches, especially here in a foreign country where the customs are often so different. As far as Pizza Hut being closed, again, some places are open on holidays, some aren't. Asking ahead of time or calling around before you drive everywhere probably would've helped you be less pissed, and found you an open place to eat at!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you shouldve just gone out in Bitburg or Trier?!? Those small towns dont have enough business on holidays so they close. I cant say anything about the base cause I'm german, but I work at a restaurant in Bitburg and we were open ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. could have eaten at Amigos Tex -mex o sh.. they closed that also

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is about time someone was brave enough to start a blog about this awful prison. Spangdahlem is a depression inducing, soul sucking hell on earth. I am talking specifically about the base as a whole, not the location. Thank you so much for opening this blog to let us know what you think! Do you have any thoughts about the medical group? I sure do! I have a grocery list of complaints just about them. :(I am waiting to fill out all of my comment cards to hand them right before I leave. Also, I can't wait to see what you write about military spouses! Many of them are poorly educated, nosy, gossipy sluts! I said many...not all. Keep the fun coming hero!!! :D

    ReplyDelete